Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

In Leah's Wake by Terri Guiliano Long





About the Book:


The Tylers have a perfect life--beautiful home, established careers, two sweet and talented daughters. Their eldest daughter, Leah, an exceptional soccer player, is on track for a prestigious scholarship. Their youngest, Justine, more responsible than seems possible for her 12 years, just wants her sister's approval. With Leah nearing the end of high school and Justine a seemingly together kid, the parents are set to enjoy a peaceful life...until Leah meets Todd, a high school dropout and former roadie for a rock band.

As Leah's parents fight to save their daughter from a world of drugs, sex, and wild parties, their divided approach drives their daughter out of their home and a wedge into their marriage. Meanwhile, twelve-year-old Justine observes her sister's rebellion from the shadows of their fragmented family-leaving her to question whether anyone loves her and if God even knows she exists. Can this family survive in Leah's wake? What happens when love just isn't enough?

(From Amazon.com)

My Thoughts:

Sometimes, reviewing a book can be hard, especially when you really want to like the book...and it just doesn't happen. I really wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't get lost in it enough for the magic to happen. And for me, that is essential, that is how I decide whether or not a book is a winner. I need to be totally lost in it, begrudge the time I can't spend reading it, and groan at the time that I have to devote to other things - like eating or sleeping. I want to think about the book when I'm not reading it, and long after it's done. That is the sign of a great book to me.

Although this book was written in a concise, readable style (I've read many lately that weren't, so I have a broad base for comparison), I found myself struggling to get into it. Whenever reading feels like a chore to me, I know it's not the book for me. Nothing against the author, nothing against the book itself. It just didn't speak to me as a reader. But I am certain that it will for many others. In fact, if Oprah was still doing her book club, this would be a perfect candidate for her selection. So try it for yourself and you decide.

9 Moonbeams (comments):

Raonaid Luckwell said...

That is a high comment to say that Oprah would really approve of this book!

But sometimes books do not call to people.

Raonaid at gmail dot com

Rita Wray said...

That was a very honest review. It's funny how one person may love a book and another would not be able to get into it. This has happened to me, a friend has told me to read a book they like and I just couldn't get into it.
Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thank you for hosting today.

MomJane said...

I have read this story and although it has many sad aspects, it is a realistic and honest tale. Many families experience this type of problems. I thought it has a realistic and hopeful ending.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your honest opinion. I read the book as well, but I had a different reaction. Amazing how books decide who they will capture.

chrysrawr@yahoo.com

Catherine Lee said...

As a librarian, I believe in the idea of "every reader, his or her book." Not every book is for every one. I found In Leah's Wake a tough read. It was an emotional roller coaster and the characters were not always likeable. It presented family drama that I'm glad not to have experienced...but I think it's a worthwhile read.
catherinelee100 at gmail dot com

bn100 said...

Thanks for the honest review.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

Mary Preston said...

An honest review is always appreciated.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Terri Giuliano Long said...

Hi Margay,

Thank you so much for taking the time to read In Leah's Wake. I understand that my book won't appeal to everyone and very much appreciate your honesty. I'm particularly grateful that you've opened discussion. I see all writing as a dialogue between author and readers. Facilitating the dialogue, as you do here, is a gift. Thank you very much for that! And thank you, readers, for joining the discussion!

My best,
Terri