Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Monday, August 30, 2010

Mystic Monday

Memories, Food and Other Random Crap...er...Stuff


Memories
This useless war we've been fighting has just been getting me down lately. It's just annoying to think about all the people dying over there - many of them younger than I am - for a war that still just seems so pointless. This video seems to be so fitting, so I had to share. When this song came out, I just couldn't listen to it because I had just lost my a very good friend - I was 17 at the time, he was 19 - to a drunk driving accident. This song is one of those rare gems. I don't know if the rest of you find the song, Wind Beneath My Wings to be utterly depressing, but I do because it always reminds me of my grandmother. Thinking of You by Safire is the same way for me. It was written to her late uncle who died of AIDS, I believe, but I find it fitting when I think of all those soldiers across the sea who fight without question because they are patriots.


Who did you think of when listening to this song?

Food
Okay, I don't know about you, but I'm getting outraged at the increasing number of food recalls due to salmonella and E.coli. The number of recalls seems to be growing, which is a scary prospect. Some people want to argue that the growing number of salmonella is related to the fact that some places stopped using chlorine to kill the bacteria on the chicken so they can import food to Russia, but I'm not so sure that the lack of chlorine use is the problem.

When you consider the bigger picture - take into account all of the food related bacteria recall issues - there's a startling revelation. While some people think those hand sanitizers are great, I think they're the worst invention.

Why?

Well, let's follow the logic, shall we.

As many of you may know, a vaccine contains a weakened or dead form of the "micro organism" you're getting inoculated against. You're body then reacts to that "dead" organism to create antibodies. Often times, you get sick as though you came in contact with the "live" organism.

Hand Sanitizers "kill" bacteria on your hands. Okay, great, but what do you do with your hands afterwords? Do you just use the sanitizer and go about your day? If you do, think about how many "dead" germs and bacteria are still on your hands. That's the problem I have with those. Sure, the bacteria and stuff might be dead, but the fact is that the "dead" bacteria and germs still exist on your hands and can possibly infect you, or someone else, later. The only really effective way to get rid of the germs is to thoroughly wash your hands, or dirty areas, with soap and water, being sure to "push" the germs and bacteria off your hands as the Department of Health has been instructing us for years.

So, if you're one of those people who just use the hand sanitizers and go about your business without washing the sanitizing junk off of your hands, ask yourself how many people who handle chicken/eggs do the same thing and then go handle other things like tomatoes, spinach and lettuce?

If some people have it in their head that using a hand sanitizer can replace actually washing their hands, they could be infecting food without realizing it.

To me, the notion of a hand sanitizer is just about as sanitary as a man's reasoning that he doesn't have to wash his hands after urination because he only touched his "clean and dry" body part. Never mind the fact that when you urinate, men included, bacteria gets released in the air and can settle on your hands without you realizing it.

Scary to think about, but I really do think we need to consider the possibility that these so-called advancements in germ protection make use less germ conscious, thereby opening the door for the spreading of germs and bacteria.

What's your theory?

Other Random Crap...er...Stuff
I feel adrift at sea without my laptop. It's on the fritz and I have to send it in to be fixed. In the meantime, I'm stuck using my husband's desktop. At first, I wasn't sure if I could get used to the smaller keyboard or the weight of it (mine's a big Dell Latitude that weighs about 8 pounds or so) on my lap.

Well, I did get used to it, I just didn't realize how used to it until it started acting up on me. I'm sending it in, but I'm afraid to do so because I'm afraid I won't get mine back, or that everything I have on there will be lost. Sure, I've backed up as much as possible, but there's some stuff you just can't back up all that easily. It's just separation anxiety, I know this. Knowing doesn't make it any easier to deal with though, lol!

It's just been harder to concentrate on my blog responsibilities because I feel so "lost" without my laptop. I also find it hard to be creative. I have story ideas I'd like to write, but sitting at this desktop makes my back hurt, so I have been avoiding the desktop like the plague, but I have responsibilities to this blog, so I needed to finally step up, so here I am. Now, it's off to take a short rest and then post my YA Room featured author interview....

5 Moonbeams (comments):

Gracen Miller said...

Hey, Carrie. First off, you seem a tad melancholoy today, so...*big virtual huggle*

Wind Beneath my Wings...it is a sad song, but I also see it as a song to dedicate to a best friend. I guess because that song was featured in Beaches and the best friends in the movie were the wind beneath each other's wings. Yes, it is sad, but it also reminds me how important a best friend is, how much a friend can shape your life and how much a friend can give you the wings to fly when everyone else around you is snipping your wings. Just my opinion though. *shrugs* So, my feelings are mixed on this song and everytime I hear it I think of the best friend I've had since middle school and how much SHE has shaped my life, how much she's been the wind beneath my wings, and how seldom I have ever told her that. I love you, Angela, my best friend and my soul sister.

I agree the food recall is scary. Especially when you hear a recall and you realize your child just ate that particular food product they're recalling.

I like hand sanitizer when I'm on the go. It's more convenient, but I still prefer soap and water. I fear that we've all turned into such germaphobes that we're killing our ability to fight off germs because we're not giving our body what it needs to learn to fight off the germs we come in contact with on a daily basis. So, basically somewhat the same thing you just said.

I won't get into the politics of the war on here, but what I will say is...I SUPPORT OUR MILITARY!! They are my heroes!

Molly Daniels said...

I LOVE that song Thinking Of You...I have the single cassette, bought back in '88 or '89.

Carrie said...

I've been in a funk since my laptop acted up. I feel so disconnected from myself, lol!

I don't think I'd feel that way about a phone or PDA thingy (gee, hard to tell I'm a writer/editor from that sentence, huh?), and I certainly never expected to be so close to my laptop, but I apparently am.

I've got writing I want to do, but can't tolerate sitting at a desk for very long...

Molly Daniels said...

Just read your bit about the hand sanitizers more thoroughly (yes, Molly admits she was skimming last night...hangs head in shame!) and I HATE those things! They dry out my hands, so when I absolutely HAVE to use it, it's the equivalent of a drop. And even then, I wash my hands asap. But then again, there are few lotions I'll put on my hands too.

Carrie said...

Molly, I'm the same way too. Which is why I find them ineffective measures against bacteria....