Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Starlight Saturday

Weekly Book Review
My Soul to Lose

My Soul to Lose by Rachel Vincent was a surprise to say the least. Sure, I thought it might be a bit on the "scary" side, but nothing, not even telling me the story would rattle me, could have prepared me for the journey that exists between the pages of this novella. Now this is a freebie and you can get from Vincent's website, rachelvincent.com. Just click on the green cover and you be ready to enter the world of a death screamer.

What makes it so rattling?

Well, the imagery used in this book works together to set the very creepy scene of a, well, psychiatric ward - and that's all I'll say on it or else I might give something away. Suffice it to say that the author took great pains to paint images of the smallest details and, as far as I'm concerned, left nothing out.

What does this mean for you the reader?

Well, it means that you get to be inside this ward with Kaylee and struggle for sanity as she did. It was very well done. When you put the book down, it isn't because you want to, but because you need to return to reality, just for a little while....

You're so deep into Kaylee's mind, that you almost wonder if you aren't crazy too...okay, maybe not everyone will go that far, but it's close enough to make me shudder.

This is one of those books you could read aloud around a campfire in lieu of ghost stories - because this one sort of is - or it can be saved for Halloween or any other time when you're looking for good, creepy, scare!

I find this story scary not because of the subject content, but because Vincent paints the scene so well. Her use of images from a squeaky wheel and white walls to a sobbing girl all combine to put the reader not on the outside of the psyche ward looking in, but on the inside looking out!

It's a fantastic job. I've decided to save the rest for October, the time of the year when I read horror and paranormal. I'm about half-way through the book right now, and with the amount of emotions I've already been through, and I know the journey's not done, I have to give it full marks.

Creep factor (sorry, no image for it yet!): 5 out of 5 images!

Overall rating: Overall Overall Overall Overall Overall



Terrific job and a must read!Don't forget to look out for the series that this novella is prequel to:
My Soul to Take My Soul to Save

0 Moonbeams (comments):