Follow the secret lives of Moonlighters Carrie Hinkel-Gill and Margay Leah Justice.
For website issues or questions, contact our Webmistress.
This blog works best with Mozilla. Scroll down to see today's blog.
Please Disable the Java add-on to your browsers to protect yourself from it's security flaws! Happy surfing!
Our Fantasy Files blog returns with a new look!
It's Tuesday, and that means Hollie posted a new review on our Book Review blog! Be sure to check them out!

Current Releases

Buy: Sloane Wolf by Margay; Nora's Soul by Margay; Pandora's Box by Gracen; Hell's Phoenix by Gracen

Video of the Day

We Are Young - Fun

Friday, November 6, 2009

PHANTASM FRIDAY

Instead of me blogging about something boring like my life *yawns loudly*, my bitchy muse (I’m joking, Dean-muse, I swear! *knees tremble* :P) or even something mundane like the correct way to use “their”, “they’re” and “there” *cheeky grin*, fellow Noble Romance Publishing author, Dena Celeste has agreed to spice up the Moonlight today instead.

Dena is the author of, Her Master’s Gift, which was recently published by Noble Romance.

HER MASTER'S GIFT BUY LINK

~~~~~

GRACEN: Do you have any favorite Thanksgiving movie or program that you enjoy watching every year? If more than one, tell us all of them!

DENA: I tend to wait and see what’s going to be on, and then watch whatever seems good at the time. But as I spend most of the day cooking, the TV is more for noise than anything else.

GRACEN: What, if any, Thanksgiving traditions (decorating, gathering with friends and family for a meal, etc.) do you have?

DENA: I make food for my family, and we watch whatever happens to be on TV. There aren’t too many people to have over really, so I try to relax.

GRACEN: What was your most memorable Thanksgiving and why?

DENA: Well, the most memorable was one from when I was about 11 years old. Our dog somehow got into the turkey and we found it half-eaten in the kitchen! Thankfully, there were only 4 of us that particular Turkey Day, so mostly it just provided laughter.

GRACEN: Which do you choose: white or dark turkey, white potatoes or yams, green beans or corn, bread rolls or crescent rolls?

DENA: Dark meat, since it’s so tender. White potatoes (but I’ll eat all the marshmallows off the sweet potato casserole). Green beans AND corn AND any other veggies around. Crescent rolls.

GRACEN: What, in your opinion, was the oddest food served at a Thanksgiving dinner you’ve attended?

DENA: Pizza. That’s what we had one Turkey Day when no one felt like cooking. But it could’ve been much worse!

GRACEN: Tell us 3 things you are thankful for this year, please.

DENA: My family, which includes my lover and best friends. That my muse has been cooperating with me! And for the library, without which I would go insane since my speed-reading far surpasses my ability to pay for books.

GRACEN: Just for fun, if you could be among any of the original members of that first Thanksgiving, who would it be, the Pilgrims or the Wampanoag (Native Americans)? Why?

DENA: Wow. Good question. Probably the Wampanoag. Because I’m a creature of habit in a lot of ways and I can’t see me getting on a ship to sail away to lands unknown.

GRACEN: Considering that feast, what do you think that first harvest celebration meal would be?

DENA: It would probably include duck. And lots of veggies, since I mostly stay away from meat except on the odd occasion I feel like having some.

Now, let’s get to your writing, Dena:

HER MASTER'S GIFT BUY LINK

GRACEN: Why erotic romance? And why BDSM? What’s the draw?

DENA: The draw for me is exploration. I’m the kind of person who is curious about everything, from feelings in the heart to sensations of the body to those journeys of the mind. BDSM is a large part of my life, and I like to show it in the light of trust and love and acceptance, no matter how edgy the play may be.

GRACEN: If you could describe your writing with a word or phrase, what would it be? What do you want readers to take with them when they've finished reading your story?

DENA: That’s a good question. I would have to say “Edgy” would describe my writing. I like to push the limits. I want my readers to take away a sense of satisfaction, maybe even understanding. I want to open up what makes at least those characters tick, why they like BDSM, what things feel like to them.

GRACEN: Have you ever written Thanksgiving into your stories? Why or why not?

DENA: Not yet! Mostly because I don’t have a story yet where it takes place. No, but I have written Chanukah into one story. If you can believe it, it’s a sweet romance! A different track for me, but I liked writing it. It’s not out just yet, and I’m awaiting word from the publisher, but I’m hopeful!

GRACEN: Who decides what you write about, you or your muse? What kind of influence do you have over your story, or is the muse always the one basting the turkey?

DENA: Oh, my muse and I have an arrangement. She can start the ball rolling and I can take it wherever I like. If I get stuck, she can get the ball rolling again. Thus far it’s worked well. I just need a good starting point, and then I’m off!

GRACEN: Have you ever based a character on a real-life person? If so, why? Was it simply to immortalize them or was there more to it than that? If you can, tell us the name of that person, please! We’re all curious here!

DENA: My character Veronica was based on a couple different people. They shall remain nameless! But all my heroes are based, at least in part, on my better half, and all my heroines have pieces of me and people I love. The others just sort of come to me and I have to bring them shape and form.

GRACEN: What character did you have the most fun creating and why?

DENA: Probably Jeanie was the most fun to create. She was bubbly and confident and kind of a dominant personality. I liked that because it was different for me, and I had to try and put my mind in that place.

GRACEN: If you had the opportunity to meet just one of your characters in real life, who would it be and why? Which of your characters would you never want to meet under any circumstance and why?

DENA: Oh gosh! I wouldn’t ever want to meet Veronica, because she’s kind of a predator. But if I could meet anybody, it would probably be Nancy. She’s sweet and funny and very irreverent!


Her Master's Gift Buy Link

BLURB:

Now that Katie’s been collared, she’s settling quickly into life with her master Sam. But she thinks she’s ready to expand her experiences and he’s quick to help. In fact, Sam has a special gift planned that is sure to delight her, if only she can gather the courage to move beyond the past and accept it without regrets.


EXCERPT:

Chapter One

The metal was cool, shockingly so, as it came into contact with the sensitive skin of her neck. His fingers barely touched her, and yet even that small caress made her shiver. Goosebumps rose in a wave over her entire body and she felt even more bare than she already was, if that was possible. The lock closed with a quiet ‘snick’ and the joy that bubbled up from the depths of her soul shone from her. She knew she was glowing, could feel it emanating from her skin.

“You’ve come to me, and you’ve bared your body, and your mind, and your soul. We have explored many things, both pleasurable and painful, and I am honored to collar you today. We will travel this part of the journey together, confident in our trust, secure in our love. I claim you as mine.”

Tears welled up in Katie’s eyes and flowed over her cheeks at his words. In her position kneeling at his feet, she bent over and reverently laid her lips on first one boot, and then the other. She lifted her face to look up at him, and as she spoke, his hands came up to cradle her damp cheeks.

“You found me, and didn’t just mold me into what I am now. You urged me to find out who I was for myself, and no one else. You accepted me, even when I was afraid. You were even willing to let me go, if that was what I needed. You encouraged me, and you guided me, and now I accept your claim. You will be my master, and I will be your slave, happily. I choose you, Sam.”

Her words wavered as his hands lightly glided over her cheeks, down her neck, over her shoulders and all the way down to her hands to help her stand in front of him. Katie fell into his light green gaze and his head dipped down. His lips touched hers, gently at first, and she responded even to that tender touch. The kiss went on, and as it did, his tongue slid into her mouth, silkily dueling with hers until she pressed her body to his, small whimpers released from her throat.

Katie came back to herself when she heard the others in the room softly clapping for them. She could feel herself blush from her cheeks above to the cheeks a little further south, and knew that her embarrassment could be seen by all. When her master turned away for a moment, she let her fingers come up to stroke her newest adornment. Her hands were toying with the lock at the back of her neck when her wrists were firmly gripped.

“It’s time to play now, my beautiful slave.” Sam chuckled in a dark, sensual way that sent desire ripping through her, and Katie’s wrists were bound behind her neck.



~~~~~

3 Moonbeams (comments):

Unknown said...

Hi :)
Thank you for the excellent interview with Dena. I enjoyed learning about her & her writing. And what an excellent excerpt! She's on my Get&Read list now.
Thanks again,
All the best,
RKCharron
xoxo

Sheila Deeth said...

Enjoyed the interview. Got me thinking about Thanksgiving. Where's the time going?

Unknown said...

@RKCharron: Thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed the excerpt!

@Sheila Deeth: I wish I knew where the time was going. And I'm kind of wondering why all the Christmas stuff is going up now...whatever happened to all the Thanksgiving stuff?